Today I want to talk about wool. Yesterday I admitted that I am incredibly intimidated by wool (the price and the upkeep). If you are wool-wary like me, you will be happy to learn that there is an inexpensive way to incorporate wool into your cloth diapering lifestyle and without the worry over care and maintenance.
Meet: the wool dryer ball...
Wool dryer balls are the eco-friendly answer to fabric softeners and dryer sheets, which deposit chemical residues onto your clothes. Wool dryer balls are perfect for drying cloth diapers because they will not irritate babies sensitive skin. They are also recommended for people who suffer from psoriasis and eczema. Toss a few of these puppies (I called them that because they are so cuddly and soft), into the dryer with your load and they will fluff and separate your clothes. Plus wool dryer balls can reduce overall drying time, saving you energy and money!
I can sense some of your skepticism, but I will testify in court that these puppies really do work! I ordered a set of 3 regular-sized wool dryer balls from Funhog Felts on Etsy. Store-owner Teri answered all my questions and then some. That lady knows wool! Funhog's wool dryer balls are wet felted with wool roving as opposed to wrapped, so there is no risk of the wool unraveling.
I have been using my wool dryer balls for two weeks now and the results are amazing. The first noticeable difference was in the drying time of our cloth diapers. Before the wool dryer balls, it would take 90 minutes to dry 12 cotton diapers, plus assorted inserts and cloth wipes. The 3 wool dryer balls shaved 10 minutes off the drying time. I can cut down on the time even more by adding more dryer balls.
I am also loving how fluffy the diapers are coming out of the dryer and no more static cling! The scent is fresh and clean. But if you prefer your clothes to smell like a dewy meadow or rain forest, you can apply a few drops of an essential oil like lavender to the wool dryer balls.
Tell us a little about your Etsy Business...
I am fairly new to Etsy...less then a year. I have found Etsy to be a good way for me to get feedback on my new ventures in felting. I started felting about a year ago and felt an instant attraction to the feel of wool in my hands turning to felt. Felting is the oldest textile known to man and when I feel the process in my hands I feel a connection with the past that is indescribable. I have found on Etsy a kinship with other crafters and an access to materials and supplies that make living in rural Montana a whole lot easier.
Why did you decide to start making wool dryer balls?
I was attracted to the concept of making dryer balls because I have never been able to use on a regular basis chemical fabric softeners. Due to either my frugality or my revulsion to the chemicals involved. Dryer balls has made my clothing a lot softer and saved me money on power bills.
What is the best way to use your wool dryer balls?
Throw 2 to 6 dryer balls in the dryer with your laundry and just let them live in the dryer! keep them away from ball loving dogs or they will be destroyed quickly. make sure they are dry between use and ignore or shave off the little "pills" that develop with use.
What other kinds of items do you make?
I also make wet felted purses, slippers, toys and booties.
Anything else you would like us to know?
I am loving the whole felting experience and have no idea where I will end up on this exciting journey.Shop: a set of 3 regular-size Funhog Felts wool dryer balls are $14.99, 3 large is $19.99
Win: One lucky Marlie and Me reader is going to receive 3 regular size wool dryer balls from Funhog Felts!
Mandatory first entry: Check out Funhog Felts on Esty and leave a comment with something else you like. If you are commenting as Anonymous, please include first name and an email address
Special Extra Entries for this Event:
- 10 bonus entries if you blogged about this event before November 15th and sent me the link before November 15th. Leave 10 separate comments.
- 1 bonus entries if you learned about this giveaway on someone's blog (not a linky). Leave a comment with the blog name
- Add Funhog Felts to your ♥ favorites on Etsy (leave Etsy name)
- Be a current or new follower of Marlie and Me via Google Friend Connect
- Be a current or new subscriber of Marlie and Me via email (subscription must be activated)
- Grab my button (leave the URL in your comment)
- Add Marlie and Me to your blog roll (leave the URL in your comment)
- Follow Marlie and Me at Networked Blogs on Facebook (leave your FB initials)
- Follow me on Twitter and tweet this message (leave the URL to the tweet in your comment): #win 3 wool dryer balls from Funhog Felts #clothdiapers @Mommy2Marlie #giveaway ends 12.2 http://tinyurl.com/2djampz
- Vote for Marlie and Me at Picket Fence Blogs (click button above Google Friend Connect widget)
- This giveaway will end on 12/2/10 at 11:59 pm CST
- Winner will be chosen randomly from all comments posted using random number generator
- The winner will be notified by email and have 48 hours to respond. Please make sure I can contact you either by having an email address visible on your blog profile or leave your email address in your comment(s).
- In the event the prize is not claimed in the allotted time another winner will be chosen. This giveaway is open to US residents only. Must be at least 18 years of age to participate. Void where prohibited.
- By accepting the prize, the winner is granting permission to be identified as such.The winner's mailing address will be forwarded to the sponsor for prize fulfillment.
- The winner has one (1) month from the date of claiming the prize to report any problems (lost shipment, broken product). I will not be responsible for resolving issues after this time.
- Entries that do not follow instructions or are falsified will be disqualified