Being new to the West Coast, I had not heard of Lucky Supermarkets before and was surprised that there was one not far from my house. I took my sous-chef with me and we had fun picking out pumpkins. I bought three. One for the recipe and two for carving Jack-o-Lanterns. I couldn't resist...they were 3 for $9.99! That is the best deal on pumpkins I have seen in these parts. Marlie also picked up a mini pumpkin for herself.
We went inside to checkout and I immediately noted how neat the store was. The staff was super-friendly too. A nice cashier helped me use the self-checkout and looked up the codes for the pumpkins. We were in and out in under 5 minutes.
Back home, I cut one pumpkin in two and admired the rich color. Then I wrote out my ideas for a fresh pumpkin recipe. I knew I wanted it to be free of artificial ingredients and healthy. Pumpkin is such a great food. I was determined to do it justice. After a couple of drafts, I had my recipe for pumpkin bread. It took two tries to get it right, but it was worth it! I am so proud of this recipe because it is guilt-free. I ate a slice for breakfast with a cup of chai tea. But you can serve it as a dessert with a side of vanilla bean ice cream if you want to be naughty!
Guilt-free Orange Pumpkin Bread
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup fresh pumpkin puree*
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 safflower oil
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan with olive oil or cooking spray and set aside
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl
- Gently blend pumpkin puree, egg, applesauce, honey, OJ, and oil in a mixing bowl
- Add dry ingredients and nuts to the pumpkin mixture and stir
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 60 minutes until a toothpick poked through the center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and let cool on a rack
Visit Lucky Supermarkets online for more ideas for your fresh finds!